Governor Scott signs HB 7307 containing significant changes to the services a CAM (property manager can perform). HB7037 becomes effective July 1, 2014 and effects only Florida condominiums. The newly expanded CAM duties include:
- Collecting delinquent assessments prior to the filing of a civil action.
- Completing forms related created by statute or by a state agency.
- Drafting letters of intended action, calculating and preparing certificates of assessments.
- Estoppel letters.
- Negotiating association contracts.
- Drafting pre-arbitration demands.
The Bill also contains examples of new required forms. The new forms are for use with collection of condominium association assessments. Conspicuously absent from the bill were provisions lessening or mitigating the common law liability if a CAM violates the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. Instead condominium associations remain ultimately responsible .
The full text of the bill is available by clicking the following link: HB 7037-cam bill
Check back each day for more analysis as Governor Scott continues to sign or veto legislation affecting Florida’s community associations.